A well-cared-for skin is still the best investment you can do for yourself. Makeup covers up. But if you must use makeup, glowing skin is the best canvas. Skin investment involves time and patience. You need to be very discriminating in your skin care product choices because there is a lot of fluff in the market. Do not scrimp on your skin care. It is best to choose naturally formulated skin care products because they do not use harsh ingredients, unlike most budget products.
What is a vegan skin care product?
It is the latest skin care innovation. It means that the product did not use any animal source in all its ingredients. This promise comes with the assurance that raw material suppliers and manufacturers do not use animal-sourced ingredients. However, this product is not the same as a cruelty-free product. Vegan ingredients include aloe, shea butter, grapeseed extract, green tea.
A vegan skin care product does not use the following:
- Honey – bee
- Beeswax – bee
- Lanolin – sheep’s wool
- Collagen – bone, skin, connective tissues (cattle, fish, horse, pig, rabbits)
- Carmine – shells of cochineal beetle
- Cholesterol – all tissues of the animal body
- Gelatin – skin, bones, connection tissue (cattle, chicken, pig, fish)
- Squalene – shark livers
- Stearic acid – stomach of pigs, cows, sheep
- Shellac – lac bugs
- Guanine – fish scales
- Glycerin – animal fats
A cruelty-free product means:
- It does not use animals for test and research.
- It does not contain animal products such as honey and beeswax.
- It does not contain animal-based ingredients such as hyaluronic acid.
For clarification, not all vegan skin care product is cruelty-free because a few brands may have been through some animal testing. To ensure that you get a cruelty-free vegan skin care product, check the label for a leaping bunny logo. The stamp will appear on the product label to certify that manufacturers did not use animals to test the product.
What are the known effects of these products?
These products are usually(not all since some may use synthetic colourants or fragrances) prepared from natural (not artificial or synthetic), organic (the ingredient was grown without the use of pesticides or synthetic fertilizers) and non-GMO (not genetically modified) ingredients.
- Cruelty-free vegan skin care products are gentler on your skin because of their natural ingredient content. People with sensitive skin or extreme cases of skin allergy will benefit from these products. Responsible manufacturers spend many hours and resources on product research to ensure that their products are safe and free from allergens. Did you know that the fragrance in personal care and household products is the number one cause of skin reactions while essential oils cause skin irritations? These ingredients can also cause photosensitivity of skin (also called, sun allergy).
- Natural ingredients like aloe vera, chamomile, tea tree have been proven to have purification benefits.
- These products are rich in Vitamin B, C and E, which aids in cell regeneration. They are rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
- They contribute to the reduction of environmental damage.
- They act as skin barriers from toxins since these products do not use toxic synthetic chemicals.
With these considerations, keep in mind that the guarantee of great skin should not cause sacrifice from animals. You can opt for vegan skin care to ensure that the products you use are cruelty free.