What is PCOD?
Reason, Symptoms, Treatments
PCOD is a disorder that has reached near epidemic proportions. First diagnosed in 1935, as per the University of Utah, this disorder is rampant in 2019, and nearly 1 out of every five females in the world suffer from this. At Mishka IVF, the best IVF center in Jaipur, we perform PCOS treatment in jaipur with the pace at which the patient wants. PCOD nowadays affects a large proportion of women world over and is the leading cause of infertility!
There are many queries that we get regarding PCOD. Some of them are:
- Where is PCOS treatment in jaipur?
- How is PCOS caused?
- Meaning of pcod?
- Reason behind pcos?
- Why pcos happens?
Let’s take a look at what is PCOD and other details related to it.
Meaning of PCOD
PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome (sometimes referred to as PolyCystic Ovarian Disorder depending on the degree of acuteness) is a problem in which a female’s hormones are out of balance. It causes problems with her periods and ultimately makes it difficult to get pregnant.
PCOS can cause unwanted changes in the way a female looks. If this problem isn’t treated, over time, it can lead to some serious health hazards, such as diabetes, heart disease, and even cancers. Most women with PCOS grow small cysts in large numbers on their ovaries. That is why this problem is called PolyCystic Ovary Syndrome. The cysts themselves are not harmful, but they lead to hormonal imbalances.
Did you know that symptoms of PCOS persist even after the removal of both the ovaries? That’s because the root cause of the problem is not in the ovaries but the woman’s metabolism. There is an involvement of the hormone regulation centre at the hypothalamus in the brain, which affects multiple organs, thus making PCOS a Multi-system disease.
PCOD: Reasons for development
The precise reasons for the development of PCOS is not known. Most experts think that several factors, including genetics, play a role:
High levels of androgens: Androgens are sometimes called “male hormones,” although all women produce small amounts of androgens in the body. Androgens are responsible for the development of male traits, e.g., male-pattern baldness. The
androgen levels in women with PCOS are higher than those in normal women. More than normal levels of male hormones in women can cause further hair growth and acne and can prevent the ovaries from releasing an egg during each menstrual cycle, two crucial symptoms of PCOS.
High levels of Insulin: The breakdown of food into energy is controlled by a hormone known as Insulin. When the body cells do not respond typically to Insulin, it creates a condition known as insulin resistance. As a result, the patient’s insulin blood levels achieve higher than normal levels. Insulin resistance has been found in many women with PCOS, especially those who are obese or overweight, have eating habits that are unhealthy, have a sedentary lifestyle, do not get enough physical activity, and have a diabetic family history(usually type 2 diabetes). Over time, due to insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes might develop in the body.
Also Read: Chardham Yatra Health Precautions
Symptoms of PCOS(Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome)/ PCOD(Poly Cystic Ovarian Disorder)
Some of the symptoms of PCOD are as listed below:
- Skin breakouts and acne.
- Rapid weight gain and trouble in losing it no matter how hard one may try.
- Hirsutism or extra hair on the face and body: Often, women get thicker and darker facial hair and even more so on the chest, belly, and back.
- Male pattern hair thinning on the scalp.
- Irregular or no periods: Often, women with PCOS have less than nine periods a year. Some women have no periods. Others have really heavy bleeding.
- Fertility problems: Many women who have PCOS have trouble conceiving.
As if it was not bad enough, it increases a female’s chances of developing a dangerous disease later on in life, like diabetes, autoimmune thyroid disease, and even cancers!
The BioCycle study (NIH 2009) stated that untreated, hormonal imbalances significantly increase a woman’s risk of diseases of inflammation – heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and premature aging, not to forget, the body in a perpetual state of suffering before these diseases even show up.
Also Read: Best Doctor for Erectile Dysfunction
Treatments of PCOS/ PCOD
PCOS treatment in Jaipur focuses on managing a woman’s specific body concerns, such as inability to conceive, excessive hair, skin breakout, or obesity. Customized treatments might involve some medications or lifestyle changes. Though at times, Lifestyle changes with just a little bit of support of medicines are provided and it has proven to give relief from the PCOS symptoms.
PCOS treatments in Jaipur focuses on personalized treatments as, no two cases are the same and each one requires a different approach towards the treatment!
The doctor might recommend weight loss with the assistance of a diet rich in protein, low in calories in combination with strength training and moderate exercise activities. Even if a fragment of reduction in body weight occurs — let us say, even about 5 percent of the body weight — might help to improve the complications and PCOS symptoms. Shedding weight might also increase the potency of medicines for PCOS, and can help with the treatment of infertility.
PCOS treatment focuses on weight loss as it helps the body in healing itself which has cumulative effects thus making the symptoms better.
To regulate a woman’s menses, the doctor might recommend:
- Combination birth control pills: Pills that contain estrogen and progestin can help in regulating estrogen as well as decreasing the production of androgen and in the body. Regulating body hormones can treat abnormal bleeding and lower the risk of endometrial cancer, acne, and excess hair growth.
- Progestin therapy: Making use of progestin for a few days each month as per the prescription of doctor progestin can help in the regulation of periods and protect a female against endometrial cancer. Progestin therapy doesn’t improve androgen levels and does not help avoid pregnancy.
- Metformin ( Glucophage, Fortamet, etc.).: This oral medication improves insulin resistance for type 2 diabetes and lowers insulin levels. If a woman doesn’t become pregnant using clomiphene, the doctor might recommend adding metformin. If the patient has developed prediabetes, this medication can help in curtailing the progression to type 2 diabetes and also help the patient with weight loss.
- Gonadotropins: Injections administer these hormonal medications.
For a reduction in excessive hair growth, your doctor might recommend:
- Birth control pills: These pills help to decrease the production of androgen in the body, which is the root cause of excessive hair growth.
- Spironolactone (Aldactone): This medication does not allow the androgen to affect the skin. Spironolactone can cause defects in childbirth, so only the most potent contraception is utilized while making use of it. The doctor does not prescribe this medication if the female is pregnant or planning to become pregnant.
- Eflornithine: This cream can help in slowing down facial hair growth in females.
- Electrolysis: Each hair follicle is destroyed using a tiny needle that passes on a pulse of electric current when inserted into it, which damages the hair follicle, ultimately destroying it. The patient might require multiple sittings with this one.
PCOS treatment in jaipur focuses on medicines in combination with lifestyle changes to get the most effective personalized treatments.
PCOD/ PCOS is a severe disorder, but it can be treated with medical help. Women suffering from PCOD must know that their problem is treatable, and they can see visible changes in the symptoms of PCOD and can beat infertility to become mothers too! You just need the right doctor, a healthy lifestyle, and strong willpower! PCOS treatment in Jaipur focuses on customized treatments meant specially to suit the individual needs. Mishka IVF, the best IVF center in jaipur, with its empathetic team of doctors and latest technologies, provide the best treatment of pcos in jaipur and helps the women to achieve a healthy life, mind and body!