Fall is in full swing these days; you’re sipping on pumpkin spice lattes, reading up on autumn-inspired recipes, and your closet is calling for warm tones and cozy sweaters. While it would be a dream to have a revolving wardrobe of seasonal selections, that’s not the case for most.
In this post, we’ll share some tips to help you style the summer pieces that are already in your closet for fall.
Step One: Accessorize appropriately
Transitioning from summer to fall is a cinch when you have the right accessories in your arsenal. When styling a summery look to suit the autumn vibes, think about the weather, colors, and coziness of the season to find your way. Here are a couple of pointers to help you get started.
- Shoes: Swap out the sandals and slides of last season for kicks with more coverage. Combat boots, leather mules, leopard flats, and edgy sneakers are just a few of the fall staples to have at the ready. This easy addition will not only add function to your ‘fit but also embrace the autumn aesthetic you’re going for.
- Scarves: Warm up your summery dresses with the sweet and cozy textures of a knit scarf. From infinity to chunky wool ones, there are infinite combinations to choose from when you add an interesting scarf to your ensemble.
- Tights: If you’re looking for a flirty evening look but don’t want to stash your summer dresses and skirts, just add a pair of neutral tights into the mix. Not only will they keep you warm, but they’ll also transition your summery look into the fall season.
- Headwear: When you think about accessorizing, the first thing that comes to mind is probably a pair of earrings, a necklace, or a bracelet, but you shouldn’t skip out on fall headwear. A newsboy cap or a wide-brimmed hat are the perfect accessories for enhancing your fall look. Plus, they’ll help keep you cozy in cooler conditions.
Step Two: Layer up
It may seem like a basic step, but layering is absolutely essential when it comes to fall and winter styling. Practically anything from your summer collection can be made to work for fall with a few added layers. From scarves to denim jackets and trench coats, there are endless combinations to achieve the look you’re going for using the things that already live in your closet. Below, you’ll find some guidelines to help you layer like a legend.
- Wear an oversized knit sweater over a dress, summery skirt or African wrap skirt for an edgy yet functional look.
- Layer leather, denim, or wool jackets on top of your tanks and sleeveless blouses.
- Wear a thin cardigan underneath your outerwear for an easily transitioned outfit.
- Let your stylish socks peek-a-boo over your boots for added interest.
Step Three: Incorporate warm tones and textiles
One of the most important things to do when styling for fall is taking the time to think about the textiles and colors you’re wearing. Fabrics like wool, knit cotton, faux leather, and hemp are all great materials to work with when you’re building or styling your fall wardrobe. Additionally, you’ll want to embrace the clothing colors of autumn as well, including:
- Forest green
Fall is one of the most fantastic seasons for fashion. From inspiring warm colors to cozy textiles and edgy aesthetics, there’s so much fun to have with fall fashion, even if you’re still sporting your summer collection. As you build your looks for the autumn season, remember to keep these three steps in mind:
- Accessorize appropriately: Your accessories can totally transform your summer pieces. When styling for fall, focus on scarves, shoes, and headwear.
- Layer up: Layering lends itself to interesting and stylish dimensions, but it also is a functional way to approach your outfits. Chunky sweaters, jackets, and cute socks are all great choices.
- Incorporate warm colors and textiles: Find inspiration from fall colors around you to nail your look. Oranges, reds, and neutral tones partnered with brighter blues and greens create a cool vibe.
Which of these styling strategies do you plan to leverage first? Share your plans and your personal tips with us in the comment section below!